Sunday, September 30, 2012

ECHOES OF BATTLE


Fellow knight Icerman asked if I could head out Fri the 9th and I was happy to join him. I hadn't crossed swords with any fishkind in ages, and I was really needing to get out in nature and keep all residing in my little kingdom happy with me. Sorry if I disappoint thee with no attempt at Photoshop proof of a 100 lb (2") perch, this time, but the weather forecast sure wasn't a disappointment. There were nary a cloud in the sky nor did I need gloves all day, and later on no need of coat of arms.
I parked my trusted steed on the east side near the point. Sir Icerman arrived earlier fishing in about 35' of water, he said he had some early challengers, disgruntled peasants perhaps, but he'd been lone ever since. By the time I was ready to join the battle at 8:30 AM, we headed out west for deeper water and worthy adversary.
I had a couple very strong hits quickly, but swords glanced off each other to no avail. I wondered if I was coming up against some short biters, unlearned in the ways of gobbling their food as true men. So I switched my long sword for something more suited to close quarters, from a jig head dressed with small tubes, to a small white gizzie bug. (My experience this year has been that the trout respond best to plastics with some wiggle.) Wisdom indeed. And as to the efficacy of Knight TubeDude's "wobble jigs" - yea, and verily be.
Before long we both had a couple foot longer bows laying at our feet. Nay, they shall not ambush again. Not enough size to challenge the mighty, but provided ample skunk repellant and satisfying as my armor of pride groweth too thick to remember from whenst last time be. We kept spoils of early triumph, hoping others seek pursuit. Alas, lest they wished they'd fared better. Oh yes, there would be blood.
I had one pole on the bottom at over 50', hoping for perchkind - but they must have cowarded off in some hole, unbeknownst from hence they may be... Thine enemies sent out larger combatants hither. Seemingly in two classes, of peasant an knighthood. Of naught were their efforts and fell before our might.

All were suspended between 6' - 10'. It made for short battle. The fish came thru somewhat steadily from 9 to 11 morn. Between two warriors, perhaps ten score and 8, be thine best guess for the day. (Perhaps Sir Icerman will contribute and speak true.)
The ice be 14" thick in the lake proper, but ahh the edges. Solid to walk on early, not as much mid day 6 feet to shore. Where there were sticks, the ice doth melted. Evidence of some lads getting wet with ice breakage. With the increasingly warm days ahead, best ye walk the plank!
Fair the well, yon lads and maidens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment