Sunday, September 30, 2012

STAYING SINGLE AT LINDON

I felt confident enough with the conditions that I talked the whole family into going out and trying to get into some fast action with a school of white bass. It’s been my goal for a while, since I wasn’t able to get out early enough last year to take advantage of the spawn, but it remained elusive again Friday afternoon.
We launched at Lindon just before 4pm and we slowly trolled out and saw one bank tangler bring in one small whitie. As we rounded the north point toward the Battle Creek inlet my youngest started yelling “Stop the boat!” Cool! I got one also not very far away from his. Unfortunately that little diversion allowed two other boats to beat us to the inlet. I wondered about the action after that motoring in the channel, as after anchoring and fishing several spots in the area and fan casting different color plastics, only one bass was to be had.
Seems like every trip we cross paths with one of these cute little fellows.

I'm sure he was happy that he wasn't being molested by white bass, but we sure would have welcomed it. Rather than waiting longer and hoping the fish would come to us, we decided to head over to the “waste water inlet.” But I would have needed some Vaseline to fit my boat in with the others already there… Not being into “combat fishing” and that we could tell that there wasn’t catching going on, we trolled along the bank going toward the Bubble-up. My oldest son got his first.

At the Bubble-up we started out deep and drifted, then we anchored near the shore in a couple rocky spots, with no hits. Water temps were 65 – 68 depending on the spot. Hmmmm…… I was starting to worry about my sweet wife that was still having a relationship with a black smelly mustelid with white stripes…

So, it was back to the BC inlet for more casting, and I put a worm under a bobber to drift around. Nothing again... Given that all but one fish were had trolling, we trolled north toward the treatment plant. No action was to be had right next to the weeds, but in about 5’ deep we caught a few more singles. After catching, we’d stop the boat and cast in the same area, but we just couldn’t find any groups of fish. Sigh…. I was starting to wonder if we were even going to get enough bass for a decent meal when my youngest had another on the line. This time I grabbed the net cuz I really wanted a meal and didn’t want to lose it getting it in the boat… A wise move. Turns out he had this 19’ walleye that didn’t get a good hook set.
That excitement validated the trip! (One of our moderators told me that due to the manner that walleye bite, he caught more that way. Seemed there was some truth to that for us also.)
Man, these predators sure are a horror flick writer's inspiration...  
Fortunately, my bride did get a couple bass as it was getting darker while heading back to the marina. I think I wanted her to catch fish more than she did! Shame that we didn’t find any schools like I’d expected.
We went by many bow fishermen. Two dead-eyes were doing really well in reducing the carp population. (Thanks guys for giving me one for bait!)
I learned at the fillet board that the females and males still had their breeding ammunition intact. I wondered if they were just being overly picky or slow in finding their mates, or if another day or two was in order. But then I read some posts of others doing very well in other parts of the lake… My sensible wife noticed my frustration and reminded me that “Others weren’t doing any better than we were.” So, I curled up with a book on Buddhism on the topic of “accepting what is.” It didn’t work… Now, before I "jump off my tackle box," hopefully I’ll do better with a rematch next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment